Using apps in foreign language learning is a very efficient method of learning. There are more than 80 different apps for several foreign languages available, which are very popular among smartphone and tablet users.
However, our innovation is that SERLET apps will be the only apps available for regional languages providing the users all the key benefits of using apps in foreign language education such as: the fast ability to access information, both practice listening or reading skills and learn about the target language culture and at the same time personalize learning by storing favorite phrases, vocabulary, videos, etc.
Apps technology for smartphones and tablets is efficient in the teaching of regional languages as it allows an easy on-the-go, at your own pace, wherever and whenever you have free time access and you can take advantage of any layover to brush up on your vocabulary or pronunciation skills.
It’s a fun and easy way to get chatting with the locals and combines visual cues, audio instructions and short videos.
The structure of each of the 7 regional language apps of SERLET project will be the same, but every app will contain different learning material according to the regional language needs.
Each regional language app will include the following:
a) a) 20 enjoyable lessons packed with many hours of high quality audio instructions and short videos. Each lesson will be full of visual and audio clues to help learners immerse and to start learning the regional language from an increasingly complex input over the course of the program.
The lessons* will include the following subjects:
1. Colors/ shapes
2. Numbers and Counting/ Time,
3. Days/ Months/Seasons/ Weather
4. Family and Relationships,
5. Formal and informal greetings,
6. Food, cooking and Drink,
7. Clothing / Furniture
8. Moods and Attitudes,
9. Housing and gardening
10. Places and directions
11. Social / Economic activities
12. Education and Employment
13. Medical / Urgency
14. History of the region
15. Nature and landscape
16. Economic activities
17. Tourism / Accommodation
18. Cultural patrimony 1
19. Cultural patrimony 2
20. Music and folklore
*The last seven lessons will be unique for each regional language.
Each lesson will include:
• vocabulary with audio pronunciation
• dialogues including conversational and grammatical elements in regional languages with translations in official language and English
• short videos showing locals using the lesson’s material in real life situations with subtitles in official language and English
• option of recording your own voice and compare your pronunciation with the native speakers
• option of storing your favorite phrases, vocabulary, videos etc., thus personalizing your learning
• option of reviewing the material easy and fast
• connection with social media (Facebook etc.) in order to exchange material with friends from a virtual platform.(web 2.0).
b) a virtual map (with 3D graphics) of the region including cultural information. As for introducing each lesson, a major element of the culture of the region will be presented. This can be a monument, a tradition that is typical of the region and which reveal its uniqueness in Europe.